Thursday, 24 July 2008

Chapter 12 - Proclaim Glad Tidings to All the World

1. There are many throughout the world that believe in the Bible. Some may find it difficult to believe in the Book of Mormon and how it came to be. I have heard some say that the First Vision, the discovery and translation of The Book of Mormon, and the other revelations that compose the Doctrine and Covenants are "Supernatural" occurrences and don't think people should believe in them. Members of the church know through spiritual witnesses that these things are true. And by careful study of all of them anyone can know of their truthfulness "by the power of the Holy Ghost".

Sometimes it takes courage to proclaim our beliefs because we are afraid that we will find us prudish. There are many commandments that we obey that the rest of the world will not see as important. It is more or less peer pressure that causes us to fear. What we have to remember is that these commandments are not from God to members of the church only, they are to all of God's children. We should be fearful of people not knowing the truth, not of what they will think of us. Courage comes from talking to and learning to love all people. If we love them we will not want them to suffer without the knowledge of the truth.

2. We don't want people to suffer in the spiritual darkness, like I said in the previous section.

3. I remember a time when I knew I needed to say something to a friend of mine. He was the type that seemed like religion would be the furthest thing from his mind. I'm so grateful that I had the courage to talk to him. He was introduced to the church because the Lord gave me courage.

4. I struggle with this one. I'm really not sure how to do better at sharing the gospel. I'm really around people less than before so it is hard to know how to share the gospel. I am however, frequently talking about church related things to my co-workers at Cisco. It is also important to me to care for my home teaching families, a couple of them are inactive.

For the children I think it's great when they bust out in "I belong to the church of Jesus Christ..." in the middle of a store. I think it's great missionary work.

5. In church last Sunday, Sis. Neal spoke of how the world sees commandments as bondage, that if they can do and choose to do whatever they want that is freedom. We see it from the exact opposite perspective. Those commandments are what keep us free. By obeying the commandments we are free to be happy we do not experience the bondage that comes from ruined families, drug/alchohol/pornography addictions, and so many other health and happiness inhibiting practices. The gospel truly liberates us from the bondage of worldly practices. How excited we should be to teach people of Jesus, and how faith in him leads to repentance, baptism, and the receipt of the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost brings joy and happiness.

6. I think blogs and other web 2.0 features of the internet and internet based applications can allow us to contact and communicate with people like no other generation has been able to before. If we do it right the information is there and available for anyone that is interested. Hopefully they will find that by contacting a member of the church once they are ready to move forward they are able to become members of the church.

7. There is a certain peace and joy that come from sharing the gospel. I don't experience it nearly as much as I used to. In high school I had lots of experiences that I was pleased with. I know there are more to be had if I pray for them and actively look for them.

No comments: