Monday, 10 November 2008

Conference

This conference that has just past (178th Semiannual General Conference) has been different for me.  I have been blessed to be able to study more of the words of the prophets, and they have meant very much to me.  We are at a time when for me I have felt to fear somewhat as I have seen the degradation of the American people and the choices they are making.  Many of the church are making poor choices.  I am disappointed in the bias of the media, the choice made in the election to have Obama for our president but more that the people would criticize so fiercely the preceding president.  I am disappointed in those that have reacted as they have over proposition 8 and especially for the members that didn't support it.  I am fearful and disappointed in those that are choosing a life of homosexuality, and for the media's support of it.  It seems so terribly prevalent these days.

Many of the prophets spoke peace regarding these troubled times.  I heard a number of times the words of 2 Timothy 3:1-5, but quickly followed by words of confidence that the church would move forward in unity.  Many used these words:

No unhallowed hand can stop
the work from progressing; persecutions may rage,
mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny
may defame, but the truth of God will go forth
boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has
penetrated every continent, visited every clime,
swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till
the purposes of God shall be accomplished, and the
Great Jehovah shall say the work is done” (History
of the Church, 4:540).

I'd like to find all those that referenced this quote.  It would seem relevant to me that if this is being quoted more than once, that I should have it committed to memory.

I appreciate the repetition used by the general authorities of the church and what it teaches me.

No comments: